Thursday, April 22, 2010

红茶菌 Чайный гриб 紅茶キノコ Kombucha

I first had Synergy brand kombucha from my sister's grocery store
in Chicago. She recommended it to me with enthusiasm, extolling upon its unique and refreshing flavor. As soon as I lifted the bottle to my lips and caught a whiff of vinegar, I was in love.

Since childhood I've habitually sneaked sips of vinegar from the collection of red wine, white wine, rice, and balsamic vinegar that my parents keep in their kitchen. While other people would wrinkle their noses up at the sour taste of pure vinegar it seems wholly natural to me to treat it as more than just a condiment.

As a young Latin student I discovered that I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Ancient Roman soldiers drank vinegar as cheap wine, supposedly even offering it to Jesus as refreshment while he hung on the cross.

For those of you who don't know, kombucha is fermented tea. It is made by plunking a kombucha culture, or mushroom into a batch of sweetened tea. The culture consists of acetic acid bacteria and yeast which feed on the sugar, fermenting the beverage over a period of days or weeks. Supposedly it dates back to the Qin Dynasty in China (~200 BCE,) however its written record only stretches as far back as 19th century Russia.

Whatever its beginnings, kombucha has now become a trend among health foodies. Proponents claim health benefits from cancer curing to increased energy, but there is no scientific evidence to support these ideas. With the support unverified health claims companies are able to make bank at $3-5 a bottle.

Being a college student, there was no way I was going to spent that much on a single beverage, no matter how much I liked it. The solution was clear: I had to start brewing kombucha myself. There are a multitude of starter kits available for sale online, but most of them were out of my price range.

Fortunately my friend's mother is an avid kombucha brewer, and was lovely enough to give me a culture! Initially I was unsure of what tea would be best, so I started with a simple oolong. That was good, but I wanted a more complex flavor, so I went to Madison's local tea shop to ask for a recommendation. I came away with a few ounces of Chinese black plum tea, and was not disappointed.

The subtle flower/fruity flavor of the tea is not lost in the fermentation process, and the result is a refreshing, tangy beverage ideal for invigorating springtime weather. Supposed health benefits aside, I would highly recommend this drink to everyone.

If you want more information on how to brew kombucha yourself, leave a comment!


Kombucha on FoodistaKombucha

1 comment:

  1. Great post about Kombucha!I hope you won't mind but I'd sure love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete