Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Perfect Pancakes

When I was a kid, every Sunday morning my dad would make my sister and I pancakes. There was something comforting and exciting about the ritual. Almost more thrilling than the finished product was the process itself. The pile of fluffy flour and baking powder turned into a mini-volcano as my dad cracked an egg over it, then it became an island in a sea of milk, and finally a delicious pancake in my belly.


Though my dad didn't usually use a recipe, the one he was following was from the 1953 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

And here it is!

"Favorite Pancakes
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar
1 egg
1 cup of milk (more if necessary)
2 tbs salad oil or melted shortening or bacon fat

Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Combine egg, milk, and salad oil; add to dry ingredients stirring just till flour is moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.)
Bake on hot griddle. Makes about 12 dollar-size or either 4-inch pancakes."

When I make this recipe, I don't bother sifting the dry ingredients. I just combine everything at once. If the batter is too thin, add more flour, if it's too thick, add more milk. Pancakes aren't an exact science, so don't stress out about your measurements. If your griddle is hot enough, you shouldn't even need to grease it prior to cooking.


These pancakes are great with a variety of toppings at any time of day! Enjoy!






6 comments:

  1. These look mad delicious. Perhaps we could adopt this tasty Sunday tradition next year at our place on Dayton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just found your blog through a search on tastespotting, and I just wanted to say that the words under your blog title (What foods these morsels be!) made me laugh =D ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison's dad here: actually, the recipe I used came from an early 50's edition of the Joy of Cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same recipe! Delicious results.

    ReplyDelete